MIDWEEK SPORT – Poppies FA Cup hopes ended while Diamonds are beaten in Red Insure

All the details from tonight's football action
All the details from tonight's football action

Kettering Town’s FA Cup hopes were ended as they went down 3-2 at Bamber Bridge in the third qualifying round replay.

The Poppies were without the injured Gary Mulligan and Elliot Sandy, due to work commitments and that meant a call-up for youngster Reubus Richard-Noel while Jevani Brown also went into the starting line-up.

James Brighton drew a save out of Lee Dovey early on before Jamie McAlindon stopped a Glenn Steel header at the other end.

Dovey tipped Dubi Ogbonna’s shot over the bar but it was the hosts who took the lead four minutes before the break when Darren Green volleyed home from the edge of the penalty area.

But, like at the weekend, the Poppies responded quickly after the break and Will Grocutt equalised six minutes after the restart when he slid the ball under Dovey.

Ogbonna shot over soon after but Bamber Bridge regained the advantage when Sam Joel played in Brett Ormerod who slotted home from an acute angle.

However, Kettering hit back themselves inside five minutes when Ogbonna got away from his marker and found the top corner.

Substitute Courtney Baker-Richardson got through on goal but was denied by Dovey and the Poppies paid the price as the hosts grabbed the winner with seven minutes to go when Ormerod was on hand to tap home a cross to the far post.

Baker-Richardson shot wide and Dom Langdon headed over during five minutes of stoppage-time but the Poppies were unable to find a third equaliser.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds were knocked out of the Southern League’s Red Insure Cup at the first hurdle as Histon claimed a 3-0 win at the Dog & Duck.

As expected, Andy Peaks rang the changes for the tie following the FA Cup success against Ashton United at the weekend as he handed debuts to youngsters Alex Vitue, in goal, and James Harvey.

However, the makeshift Diamonds were right up against it from the start as Sam Ives put the visitors in front after just 35 seconds.

Nick Freeman struck the post from 25 yards and it was 2-0 on five minutes when Matthew Meacher fired home from the edge of the area.

Scott Joseph scuffed his shot from a good position while Ives went close to extending Histon’s lead.

Dom Lawless and Dan Quigley were both off target for the hosts but Histon struck the underside of the bar before making it 3-0 in the second period through Ben Tilney.

Diamonds did pull a goal back when Quigley was pushed over in the area and Lawless stepped up to score his first goal for the club from the penalty spot.

But it was the Premier Division side who had the final say when Dovydas Kairys cut in from the left and beats Vitue to wrap things up.

Don’t miss more Poppies and Diamonds news in Thursday’s Northamptonshire Telegraph