MIDWEEK SPORT – Diamonds hit Histon for six but Poppies are held at Biggleswade

All the details from tonight's local football action
All the details from tonight's local football action
Share this article

AFC Rushden & Diamonds made no mistake in their second attempt to see off Histon in the preliminary round of the FA Trophy as they ran out big 6-1 winners at the Glassworld Stadium.

Having drawn 1-1 with the Southern League Division One Central strugglers at the Dog & Duck on Saturday, Andy Peaks’ team wasted no time in ensuring the job was finished in Cambridgeshire.

Taylor Orosz fired them into the lead from 18 yards after just three minutes and he made it 2-0 just past the quarter-hour when he cut inside and smashed home.

And the tie was effectively over three minutes before half-time when Tom Lorraine cut onto his right foot and slammed in the third.

Diamonds stayed on the front foot after the break and Nabil Shariff lobbed the goalkeeper to make it 4-0 before Lorraine scored his second of the evening from close-range.

Substitute Jake Newman grabbed his first goal of the season when he shot across the goalkeeper to make it 6-0.

Fellow substitute Chris Wreh hit the post with a back-heel before Histon grabbed a consolation thanks to Danny Gould’s long-range strike.

But Diamonds’ decisive victory means they will now host Coalville Town in the first qualifying round at the Dog & Duck on Saturday, October 29.

Peaks’ team return to Evo-Stik Northern Premier League Division One South action on Saturday when they entertain Sheffield FC.

Kettering Town let a 2-0 lead slip as Biggleswade Town snatched a late goal to claim a 2-2 draw in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division.

Former Northampton Town goalkeeper Dean Snedker was handed his debut for the Poppies after he signed on a dual registration from Hemel Hempstead Town with Paul White ruled out with an ankle injury.

There no places in the Poppies’ 16-man squad for Kaid Mohamed or Aaron O’Connor while Ben Baker started in place of Spencer Weir-Daley who was delayed in traffic.

Fellow youngsters Ben Bradshaw and Jack O’Connor were also named on the bench alongside the returning Callum Westwood.

The Poppies took the lead when James Brighton fired home a low free-kick.

And they made it 2-0 soon after when Nathan Hicks’ showed good strength to hold off a couple of challenges before finishing well after a fine burst forward.

But Biggleswade pulled one back before the break when Inih Effiong scored past Snedker from a Connor Vincent pass.

A fine challenge from Liam Bateman denied Robbie Parker in the second half and Effiong shot over when he should have done better.

Westwood, on for Baker in the second period, shot wide after going through while Snedker pushed an Effiong effort wide at the other end.

But just when it seemed the Poppies would hold on, Tony Bennett was on hand to tap home a late equaliser.

The Poppies will now have to pick themselves up as they head to Vanarama National League side Solihull Moors to do battle for a place in the first round proper of the FA Cup on Saturday.

Don’t miss all the latest from our local clubs in Thursday’s Northamptonshire Telegraph