Law: Circumstances went against Poppies

Marcus Law and his Kettering Town team endured a tough day as they went down 1-0 at Poole Town
Marcus Law and his Kettering Town team endured a tough day as they went down 1-0 at Poole Town

Marcus Law felt “circumstances” went against Kettering Town as they slipped to defeat at Poole Town on the first day of the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division season.

The Poppies endured a nightmare journey down to the south coast as heavy traffic ensured the team coach didn’t reach Tatnam until 3.15pm, having departed Latimer Park at 8.30am.

It meant the game didn’t kick-off until just before 4pm and Kettering were caught out early as Richard Gillespie headed the hosts into a second-minute lead.

But Law praised the efforts of his team in the second period as they battled away without reward while their cause wasn’t helped by Dubi Ogbonna’s red card for two bookable offences with 15 minutes to go.

And the Poppies boss insists there is nothing for his team to fear in the remainder of the campaign after they gave last season’s runners-up a run for their money.

“The circumstances went against us but that’s what happens sometimes,” Law said.

“In an ideal world we would have stayed down there on the Friday night and taken the problem out of the equation.

“But we aren’t in a position to be able to do that and it ended up being a very long day for us.

“We left our ground at 8.30am and rolled up to the ground at 3.15pm, I got to Glasgow for work quicker than that on Friday!

“Then we have conceded from their first set-piece and it made things very difficult for us.

“They tried to put us on the back foot but we got through that spell and I can be proud of what the boys did in the second half.

“Poole were far from comfortable and we have pushed them all the way and had chances to get a goal.

“They are an established team at this level and still have seven of the players who helped them to finish second last season.

“But, at the same time, I don’t want to be a nearly side. We have got things to work on and things to tidy up as look to get ourselves established.

“But, after that game, we certainly have nothing to be fearful of.”

Law, who is now preparing his team for their first home game of the season against Redditch United on Tuesday night, also insisted had no complaints about Ogbonna’s dismissal

“Dubi was on a booking and the second foul came from his own frustration, which was very disappointing,” he added.

“He didn’t need to do it, it was a rush of blood and being down to 10 men made a tough task even harder.”