BANK HOLIDAY SPORT – Steelmen’s unbeaten start ended but Poppies and Diamonds both win again

All the details from tonight's football action
All the details from tonight's football action

Corby Town’s unbeaten start to the Vanarama National League North season was ended as early leaders Solihull Moors picked up a 3-1 victory at Steel Park.

Solihull started the brighter and Ryan Beswick stabbed an effort wide before they took the lead on 11 minutes when Darryl Knights got away on the right and squared for James Armson to beat Paul Walker from close-range.

Knights volleyed wide for the visitors but the Steelmen levelled things up on 27 minutes when Ben Milnes cross was met by a downward header from Spencer Weir-Daley as he grabbed his third goal in as many games.

Knights lofted a shot just wide but the visitors did regain the lead seven minutes before the break when a swift counter-attack ended with Beswick crossing from the right for Akwasi Asante to head home at the far post.

The second half proved to be an even affair with both sides having chances.

The Steelmen went close when Danny Lewis saved well from a Weir-Daley header but just a minute later, Solihull wrapped things up as Stefan Moore went through and round Walker before slotting into the empty net.

Solihull’s win also ensured Corby’s long unbeaten run at Steel Park, which had stretched back to the end of November, was also ended.

Nick Wright’s first goal for the club ensured Kettering Town made it two wins in a row as they beat King’s Lynn Town 2-1 at Latimer Park.

The Poppies took the lead midway through the first half when Elliot Sandy’s cross found Andy Gooding who volleyed home from 18 yards.

Sandy nodded straight at visiting goalkeeper Alex Street but the hosts were pegged back on the stroke of half-time when Ryan Fryatt headed home a free-kick from the right.

Kettering regained the lead on 64 minutes as it took Wright just three minutes to make an impact after he had replaced Saul Williams.

Sandy created it again as he crossed to the far post where Wright was on hand to tap home.

Street made a triple save to deny Courtney Baker-Richardson, Jevani Brown and Elliot Sandy but the Poppies saw things out.

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ impressive and unbeaten start to the new Evo-Stik Southern League Division One Central campaign continued as they saw off Bedford Town 2-0 at the Dog & Duck.

Diamonds were dominant in the first half and Scott Joseph had a half-volley cleared off the line while Claudiu Hoban saw a 25-yard free-kick tipped over.

But they did take the lead on 21 minutes when Sam Brown’s long throw caused panic in the Bedford defence. A shot was spilled by the visiting keeper and Quigley was on hand to tap home.

And Diamonds gave themselves some breathing space two minutes into the second half.

Tommy Berwick latched on to a ball over the top from Liam Dolman and crossed for Joseph to score.

Joseph and Tom Lorraine both had chances to make it three but Diamonds didn’t need another goal as their good start continued.