FA Vase and UCL round-up - Diamonds suffer late heartbreak

Kevin Byrne was on target for Desborough Town
Kevin Byrne was on target for Desborough Town

AFC Rushden & Diamonds’ FA Carlsberg Vase campaign ended in heartbreak in the north-east as Ashington grabbed a late goal to secure a 2-1 victory.

Mark Starmer’s ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Division One side fell behind early on when Andy Johnson’s cross was deflected into the net by Chris Hope.

But the visitors drew level before half-time when Jake Newman headed home from close-range after a corner.

Diamonds’ hopes were hit by a red card for Jake Gillingwater early in the second half but the game looked to be heading for a draw when Ashington were also reduced to 10 men.

However, there was a sting in the tale and it was Johnson who broke the Diamonds hearts with the winner in the last minute.

Desborough Town’s impressive form in the UCL Premier Division continued as they avenged an earlier away defeat by beating Peterborough Northern Star 2-0 at the Waterworks Field.

And it was the Byrne brothers who did the damage with both goals coming in the space of one first-half minute.

Kevin Byrne made the breakthrough and younger sibling Michael added the other to complete the scoring a seal another three points for Steve Walker’s men.

It was, however, a disappointing day for Stewarts & Lloyds and Wellingborough Town.

S&L were beaten 3-0 at home by Blackstones, who had Danny Barker, Addie Staffieri and Tom Davies on target.

The Doughboys, meanwhile, were sunk by two first-half goals at the reigning champions as Mike Houghton and Louis Dupree sealed Buckby’s victory.

Rushden & Higham were the only local winners in Division One as they picked up a fine 3-2 success at Potton United.

The Lankies had to do it the hard way to extend their unbeaten run to seven games as they came back from 2-0 down in the final 15 minutes.

Graham Tibbals and Steve Thomas looked to have set Potton on their way to a victory but Darren Farrar started the fightback before Lewis O’Dell equalised.

And, in the 82nd minute, the comeback was completed thanks to the in-form Daryl Lawman.

Burton Park Wanderers picked up their first home point of the season after a 1-1 draw with Bourne.

Jedd Whiteman put the hosts in front on the half-hour but the visitors earned a share of the points thanks to Tom Cardall’s goal with 20 minutes to go.

Elsewhere, it was a tough day for the Division One clubs as Thrapston Town were beaten 4-1 at home by leaders Sileby Rangers.

Jon Crockett’s hat-trick put the visitors 3-0 up inside the 55 minutes and Rob Foster added the fourth. Thrapston did grab a late consolation through Ryan Caller but it was all they had to show.

Whitworth were beaten 1-0 at home by Bugbrooke as a first-minute strike from Lee Wilson sealed the points and there were heavy defeats for both Raunds Town and Rothwell Corinthians.

Ben Watts’ Corinthians were beaten 7-1 at home by Northampton Spencer as Ashley Spencer, Jack Bartley and Paul Pickering put the visitors 3-0 up.

Shaun Morris pulled one back but Spencer added four more as Pickering and Bartley both completed hat-tricks.

Raunds, meanwhile, lost 6-2 at Olney who went 2-0 up through Christian Smail and James Fletcher before Ryan Howard pulled one back for the Shopmates.

Shaun Winconek restored the two-goal lead before the break and three goals in seven minutes after half-time ended the contest as Smail, Sam Parrish and Sam Marven made it 6-1.

Karl King did grab another for Raunds but his side were well beaten.