Diamonds strike late to seal victory

Russ Dunkley grabbed AFC Rushden & Diamonds' equaliser in the 2-1 success at Newport Pagnell
Russ Dunkley grabbed AFC Rushden & Diamonds' equaliser in the 2-1 success at Newport Pagnell

Richard Bunting was the late hero for AFC Rushden & Diamonds as they maintained second place in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Mark Starmer’s men fell behind to strugglers Newport Pagnell as John Thorpe put the home side in front after 16 minutes.

But Russ Dunkley levelled from a Matt Gearing corner seven minutes into the second half before a brilliant 30-yard free-kick from Bunting in the final minute secured the points.

It was a disappointing day for Desborough Town as they went down 5-1 at Deeping Rangers, who moved into the top three.

David Burton-Jones put the hosts in front after three minutes but the lead was quickly cancelled out by Aidan Bradshaw.

However, Scott Ginty restored the home side’s lead and two goals in as many minutes after the break made it safe for Deeping as Ryan Oliver’s strike was quickly followed by one from Mitch Griffiths.

Spencer Tinkler fired home the fifth from the penalty spot late on while Desborough’s miserable day was completed when Mark Forbes was sent off.

Thrapston Town bounced back from their 8-0 midweek drubbing at the hands of Oadby Town by trouncing Bourne Town 7-1 at Chancery Lane.

Cory James fired the hosts into a 2-0 lead inside 16 minutes before the returning Jack Wisniewski added a third just past the half-hour.

Alex Brockbank pulled a goal back for the visitors but another Thrapston debutant, Chris Hope, made it 4-1 before half-time.

Hope added his second of the game on 56 minutes before James finished things off by completing a four-goal haul to make it 7-1 in the final 20 minutes.

And miserable afternoon for the visitors was compounded when Andy Moss was sent off for two bookable offences.

Rothwell Corinthians continued their impressive form of late as they sent Blackstones to a seventh successive defeat with a 2-1 away win.

It was the hosts who took the lead through Declan Carr just before the hour but Corinthians stormed back and Ryan Goodband equaliser with 17 minutes to go.

And they snatched all three points with two minutes left on the clock when Goodband was on hand to fire into the top corner.

Burton Park Wanderers were beaten 3-2 at home by Harrowby United, who maintained their push for promotion.

Deven Ellwood, who recently returned to Latimer Park from AFC Rushden & Diamonds, gave Burton the lead early on but Martin Wormall equalised and the visitors took the lead after 19 minutes when Lee Shaw’s shot deflected in off James Gorman.

Wormall extended Harrowby’s advantage with 15 minutes to go but they were forced to hang on in the final stages after Cavell Jarvis struck for the hosts.

Whitworth were on the end of a fine fightback from Lutterworth Athletic as the visitors completed a double over the Flourmen.

George Lee gave Lutterworth the lead but Whitworth turned things around to lead 2-1 at the break through Jamie White and Matt Juge.

Whitworth missed a penalty in the second half and they were made to pay as Dom Ivens levelled with 13 minutes to go before Barnes Gladman secured a 3-2 success four minutes into injury-time.

Rushden & Higham United slipped to a fourth successive defeat as Dom Lawless fired Buckingham to a 2-1 success at Hayden Road.

The visiting striker scored twice in the first half to put the Robins in control and they held on for the victory, despite Jory Mann pulling one back for the hosts from the penalty spot after the break.