Desborough hold off Yaxley's fightback to record a fine home success

Desborough Town held off a late fightback from Yaxley to claim a 3-2 success in the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division.

Sunday, 20th March 2016, 6:30 am
Ian Walker's Thrapston Town side extended their unbeaten run to 10 matches in Division One

Aidan Bradshaw gave Ar Tarn a first-half lead at the Waterworks Field before two goals from Jason Turner put the hosts in total control after 65 minutes.

Dan Cotton pulled one back with 10 minutes to go and Phil Stebbing grabbed another late on but Chris Bradshaw’s men saw things out to seal the points.

There was late heartbreak for Rothwell Corinthians as a stoppage-time goal gave Wisbech Town a 3-2 victory at Sergeants Lawn.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The visitors looked to be in control after Billy Smith and Stuart Cobb put them 2-0 up at half-time.

But Ryan Goodband started the comeback just before the hour and then Rob Foster levelled things up with 15 minutes to go.

However, the Fenmen snatched all three points when Adam Mills struck in the second minute of stoppage-time.

Stewarts & Lloyds’ promotion hopes in Division One received a big boost after they beat Buckingham Town 1-0 at Occupation Road.

Chris Caswell hit the only goal of the game on 71 minutes but the win was to prove all-the-more important as, following second-placed ON Chenecks’ defeat at Potton United, it moved the Foundrymen to within two points of the top two with two games in hand.

Thrapston Town made it 10 games without defeat as they saw off Long Buckby 3-1 at Chancery Lane.

Lloyd Buckby put the hosts in front and Jedd Whiteman doubled the advantage before the break.

The visitors were given hope when Manny Salumu pulled one back soon after the restart but Carlos Lewis converted from the penalty spot to wrap up the win for Ian Walker’s side.

Dan Bendon was the hero for Raunds Town as he grabbed both goals in a notable 2-0 victory at sixth-placed Olney Town.

Bendon struck after 15 and 29 minutes and that proved to be enough for the Shopmates.

Leaders Peterborough Sports all-but sealed promotion with a 5-1 victory at Whitworth.

Karl Gibbs (2), David Cobb, Dan Clements and Ollie Medwynter were on target for the champions-elect while a Josh Sanders own-goal gave the Flourmen their consolation.

Irchester United were sent tumbling to an eighth defeat in a row as they suffered a 2-1 defeat at Lutterworth Athletic.

Callum Harris gave the hosts the lead but Dave Miles equalised early in the second half.

However, Harris’ second of the game 12 minutes from full-time proved decisive.

Burton Park Wanderers’ miserable campaign continued as they were thumped 4-1 at Oakham United.

The damage was done in the first half as Lewis Leckie scored twice and Dan Jenkins added another to open up a 3-0 lead.

Scott Richards pulled one back for the bottom club but Leckie had the final say as he completed his hat-trick and the scoring.