Controversial defeat for Thrapston Town

Thrapston Town chairman Dave Harris was left “disgusted” by a moment of controversy as Thrapston Town were beaten 5-1 at ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Premier Division leaders King’s Lynn Town at the weekend.

Struggling Town had put on a good show in the first half as they fought back from a goal down to level through Ben Morgan.

But the game was turned just before half-time when Luke Thurlbourne hit an uncontested drop-ball over visiting goalkeeper Dan Waters’ head and into the net.

The drop-ball came after an injury to a Thrapston player but instead of offering the visitors a walk through reply, the Linnets took the goal.

The incident sparked some ugly scenes between the rival players and, to rub salt into the wounds, King’s Lynn went on to completed an expected comfortable victory at The Walks.


The incident, which has made its way on to youtube, left Thrapston devastated. And chairman Harris pulled no punches in his assessment of it.

He said: “I am in the process of writing to King’s Lynn, the Northamptonshire FA, the UCL and the Norfolk County FA to express our disgust at the incident.

“We are only a small club but that is no the way we expect any club to

conduct themselves.

“I have been involved in football at this level for 35 years and I have never seen anything like it. It was the most unsporting and ungracious behaviour.

“We had done well in the first half and we probably played a lot better than they expected.

“We managed to get an equaliser but then there was a head injury to a player and the referee stopped the game.

“It was agreed that King’s Lynn would kick the ball back to us after we had offered to kick it back to them and, initially, I thought it was just one of those incidents where the lad has overhit it and it has gone in.

“I am an honest person. We would have gone in at 1-1 at half-time and I would have expected us to go on and lose the game because they have a number of quality players that they could have called upon.

“They are a superior side to many in this division and I think everyone of a Thrapston persuasion would agree that the second half would have been hard anyway.

“We just feel let down by the King’s Lynn players, no necessarily the club because there were plenty of their fans who were surprised and disappointed by what happened.

“I approached their dugout to see why they wouldn’t give us a goal back but they just said ‘we are going for the league, why should we?’ that just summed it up.

“We aren’t looking for anything out of this. We don’t want a replay or anything like that. We just want to give King’s Lynn the chance to explain it.”

Linnets boss Gary Setchell – a former Kettering Town player – claimed he didn’t see the drop-ball incident.

“At the end of the day the referee was there and he deemed there was nothing wrong with it within the laws of the game,” he said.

“If it would have happened to us I would have been unhappy about it but these things happen in football.

“Someone came down and said ‘you should let us score’.

“But it all happened so fast and I was really semi-oblivious to what had gone on.”