Cobblers boss Wilder refuses to criticise referee

Ben Tozer is struck as Wycombe celebrate their late equaliser at Adams Park (pictures: Sharon Lucey)
Ben Tozer is struck as Wycombe celebrate their late equaliser at Adams Park (pictures: Sharon Lucey)

Chris Wilder refused to criticise the performance of referee Pat Miller in the Cobblers’ draw at Wycombe and felt the official was ‘put under some enormous pressure’ by the home bench.

Miller had a busy afternoon, showing 11 yellow cards which included two to left-back Gregor Robertson, the second for time-wasting when the defender was waiting for a substitution to be made.

Wycombe Wanderers V Cobblers. NNL-140410-160852009

Wycombe Wanderers V Cobblers. NNL-140410-160852009

Several Town players also felt further action should have been taken for a challenge on Ricky Ravenhill that left the midfielder with a bloodied face, with concerns also being raised about comments made to Ravenhill by Wycombe players while he was on the ground.

But Wilder did not criticise the referee and instead put the focus on the role of Chairboys boss Gareth Ainsworth and his staff in the game.

“I think the referee was put under some enormous pressure from the sidelines,” he said. “But that’s for other people and other clubs to decide which way they go about it.

“He’s human and he sees the match as it is. It seemed to be a concerted effort from their point of view to hammer the referee and the linesmen.

“They’re all passionate, I know Gareth well and he’s a passionate guy who wants to do well for his club.

“They perhaps deserved a point and it was a great header from their lad but it’s hard to take for us because it went to the last 10 or 15 seconds of the game.”

Wilder also felt Robertson’s dismissal was the result of a lack of understanding between the parties involved, although it does mean the full-back will now be suspended for Tuesday night’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy tie at Portsmouth.

“Regarding Gregor’s sending-off, I think the referee was a bit unfortunate because I don’t think he’s realised what was happening,” he said.

“Gregor was waiting for John-Joe to get on and the fourth (official) was trying to get him on - I just think the referee hasn’t seen it; if he had I think that just gets ironed out then and there.

“We’re all professional and we’re not going to go rushing around anywhere but we don’t go down the road of other clubs and base our tactics on that.

“We saw that a couple of weeks ago at our place with people feigning injury and it’s not really the way we set our stall out.

“It’s part of the game and I’m all for that. It was a game between two teams and two managers who wanted to get a result.”