Battling Steelmen take a fine point

Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12
Corby v Halifax & wreath laying: Manager, Graham Drury.'07/01/12

Corby Town battled their way to another excellent point on the road as they drew 2-2 at Stalybridge Celtic in the Blue Square Bet North.

Stalybridge were almost ahead inside four minutes as Craig Hobson’s low shot came back off the post.

Thereafter, the home side did more of the pressing while the Steelmen only had sporadic attacks, the best of which was a weak shot from Gary King on 23 minutes when he had worked his way through the home defence.

Celtic, and Hobson, looked the more likely to make the breakthrough, however, and it duly came on 36 minutes when the striker headed the hosts ahead from a corner.

Two minutes later, he almost doubled the lead when Corby’s defence left him unmarked in the box, but his shot only found the side-netting.

The Steelmen had offered little going forward in the first half but nine minutes into the second, they were level with a great goal.

Andy Hall’s run and cross-field pass was expertly controlled by Jordan Smith, who lashed a shot in off the underside of the bar.

Stalybridge almost responded straight away as first Callum Warburton and then Mitchell Austin were denied by Fabian Speiss.

However, the hosts were back ahead on 64 minutes when Hobson was given too much time and space to place a shot into the bottom corner.

But Corby came back again and equalised for the second time on 75 minutes when King smashed home a free-kick from the edge of the box.

Both sides might then have won it late on but Mark Jones headed narrowly wide for Corby while Speiss saved well from Hobson in injury-time..

Stalybridge: Budtz; J Bembo-Leta, Meynell, Platt, McWilliams; Gnahoua (sub Marsh, 86 mins), Rea, Wilkinson (sub Warburton, 14 mins), Banks (sub D Bembo-Leta, 77 mins); Austin. Hobson. Subs not used: Lynch, Ellams.

Corby: Speiss; Gordon, Gulliver, Malone, Mayo; Hall (sub Hibbert, 73 mins) , Towers, McGowan (sub Jones, 65 mins), Amory (sub Ozmen, 58 mins); King, Smith. Subs not used: Farden, Bolt.

Referee: Andy Scregg.

Goals: Hobson (36 mins, 1-0), Smith (54 mins, 1-1), Hobson (64 mins, 2-1), King (75 mins, (2-2).

Attendance: 449