Ar Tarn's cup hopes ended in shoot-out heartbreak

Desborough Town's hopes of claiming some silverware this season were ended in heartbreaking fashion at the Waterworks Field.

Sunday, 12th March 2017, 8:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:09 am
Chris Bradshaw's Desborough Town team lost 4-1 on penalties after a 2-2 draw with Wisbech Town in the semi-final of the UCL Knockout Cup

Ar Tarn looked to be heading into the final of the ChromaSport & Trophies United Counties League Knockout Cup final after they opened up a 2-0 lead over Premier Division rivals Wisbech Town.

But the Fenmen scored twice in the final 17 minutes to force the game into extra-time and then a penalty shoot-out, which the visitors won.

It was looking so good for Desborough after Aaron Davies headed home a Dan Grainger free-kick in the first half before Will Arnold made it 2-0 after the break.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But Curtis Knight pulled one back and then Michael Frew equalised with just two minutes remaining.

And it was Wisbech who held their nerve from the spot as they triumphed 4-1 in the shoot-out.

Wellingborough Town’s impressive recent form continued as they claimed an excellent 3-0 home victory over Holbeach United in the UCL Premier Division.

Jack Wisniewski put the Doughboys in front after he was set up by Adam Speight.

And the roles were reversed for their second goal when Speight headed home Wisniewski’s cross.

The win was completed thanks to Jake Gillingwater’s second-half goal.

Rothwell Corinthians became the latest victims of champions-elect Peterborough Sports after they claimed a 4-1 win at Sergeants Lawn.

Corinthians did draw level at 1-1 after falling behind but the leaders scored three goals in the final 17 minutes to move a step closer to the title.

Whitworth’s promotion hopes in Division One suffered a setback as they needed a last-gasp equaliser to claim a 3-3 draw at Bourne Town.

The Flourmen led 2-1 at one stage but were trailing 3-2 when they secured a point in the fourth minute of stoppage-time.

Whitworth now sit eight points off the second promotion spot with eight games to go.

Raunds Town ran out comfortable 4-0 winners at bottom side Stewarts & Lloyds.

Karl King and Charlie Fowler put the Shopmates 2-0 up at the break and goals from Mason Thomas and Dave Townsend rounded things off in the second half.

Rushden & Higham United, meanwhile, went down 3-0 at fourth-placed Olney Town.