A mixed return for Desborough youngsters

Share this article

There were goals galore as the Northants Senior Youth League began its 2012/13 season.

Desborough Town, back in the league after an absence of four years, were involved in two games of contrasting fortunes.

Their first game back in the league saw them thrashed 6-0 in the East Division at the Waterworks Field by Yaxley, but their second saw a remarkable game at Chancery Lane against Thrapston that ended 8-5 to Ar Tarn!

Thomas Ferris and Jordon Crawford both completed hat-trick for the visitors, with Peter McDonald bagging a brace.

It was 5-4 to Desborough at half-time, with the home goals coming from Luke Stevens with two, Robert Kasule, Wes Taylor and an own goal.

That was Thrapston`s second defeat as they also lost their opening game 5-1 at Eynesbury Rovers – Sam Norton responding to goals from Greg Thorndick with two, Shane McDonald, Josh Davis and Joe Woodyer.

Whitworth began well by edging last season`s West Division champions Cogenhoe United by the odd goal in five.

Luke Emery netted a hat-trick in a losing cause after Ant Willey, Isaac Speitan, Casey Wiles, Harry Langley and an own goal saw the Flourboys home.

However, Whitworth were beaten 4-0 at Byfield Road by Woodford United in their second game.

That represented Woodford`s first win after they had shared a 3-3 draw at the Dog & Duck against AFC Rushden & Diamonds, who came back from being 3-1 down to goals from Jack Bailey, Mike McGannon and Ashley Stewart - Zach Farden`s cross eluding the visiting keeper for Diamonds` reply.

But sub Wes Kirkton and a 25-yard effort from Liam Bond saw the home side pull back on level terms.

Diamonds suffered the disappointment of a surprise 5-1 beating at Kingsthorpe Mill against Northampton Spencer, however, in their next game.

Farden again gave Diamonds an early 2nd minute lead, but Spencer responded with braces from Dan London and Bret Akenten and one from Jacob Gartland.

Rushden & Higham United and Rothwell Corinthians were also amongst the goals in the opening week.

The pair met at Sargeant`s Lawn with Corinths running out 5-3 winners, courtesy of a Cameron Knox hat-trick and a double from Marvin Hill – Ali Wishart, Mark Cooper and Rhys Alford replying for the young Lankies.

However, Corinths were on the wrong end of a 7-1 thrashing at AFC Kempston Rovers, who have switched over to the East, with Charisma Agyemang and Sam Kelly netting braces for the Bedford side, while Rushden & Higham went down to a 4-0 Hayden Road defeat to S&L, for whom Ryan Finnegan grabbed a triple and Sam Rogers the other.

Wellingborough Town – back after one season`s sabbatical – were beaten 4-1 at Court Place Farm by newcomers Oxford City in their opening match – Callum Green scoring two for the hosts with Tyler Maher netting the young Doughboys` consolation – but Wellingborough managed to earn three points from their derby at the Dog & Duck against another returning club, Irchester United.

Harry Ware scored both of the Doughboys goals in a 2-0 success.

Irchester had managed a 3-2 win at Olney Town in their opening game, with John McCullagh, Jake Seeley and Redford Williams cancelling out replies from Matt Cunningham and Daouda Cisse for the Nurseryboys.

Oxford, meanwhile, made it two from two by winning 3-0 at reigning West champions Cogenhoe, thanks to Liam Marshall, Adbi Farah and Joe Thomas.

Yaxley also made it two from two with a 3-0 home win over Eynesbury, while Daventry Town won 6-1 at Olney.