Wellingborough man faces jail after cocaine bust

A former motorcycle racing team owner is facing jail after he admitted being involved in £1.65m cocaine cartel.

Ex-Pr1mo Kawaski boss Danny Cheevers, 45, was caught with 11 kilos of the high grade class A drug in January 2012.

The 92 per cent pure cocaine was discovered at a haulage company on the Lodge Farm industrial estate, in Northampton, along with £176,690.

Further arrests were made in the bust and £30,000 was seized following searches in south east London and Kent.

Cheevers pleaded guilty on Fridy, June 1, to conspiracy to supply a controlled drug of class A and possessing criminal property.

His former racing team Pr1mo merged with Bournemouth Kawasaki in 2011 to form Pr1mo Kawasaki, which competes in the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship.

Cheevers appeared in the dock at Southwark Crown Court alongside Joseph McCory, 46, who also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a controlled drug of class A.

Cheevers, of Troon Crescent, Wellingborough, and McCory, of Northumberland Avenue, Welling, Kent, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply a controlled drug of class A on or before January 27, 2012

Cheevers also admitted possessing £176,690.

After Cheevers arrest Pr1mo racing issued the following statement on its website: “In light of recent events, Pr1mo Racing regrets to confirm that team owner Danny Cheevers has been taken into custody with a charge for conspiracy to supply narcotics.

“This has come as a huge shock and disappointment to everyone in the team. As a title sponsor, Pr1mo will be looking to continue its relationship with Bournemouth Kawasaki and its preparations for the 2012 season remain in place.”

A third man, Robert Greenhill, 61, appeared in the dock alongside Cheevers and McCory.

Greenhill, of Park Mead, Sidcup, Kent, denied his part in the drugs ring and will stand trial on June 18 alongside alleged co-conspirator 64-year-old John Reed, of Capstan Way, Rotherhithe, south east London.

Cheevers and McCory will be sentenced at the outcome of the trial.

All four men have been remanded in custody.