A Wellingborough arrested on suspicion of malicious communications offences earlier this week after police received a call about an explosive device in a car in Cogenhoe has been released on bail.
The incident happened on Monday night.
Police were alerted to the incident in St Peters Way after a man made a call to officers.
The RAF Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit attended and carried out a search of the vehicle. Nothing was found.
Nearby houses were evacuated during the incident and residents returned to their homes at about 1.30am on Tuesday (June 17).
A spokesman for Northamptonshire Police said: “Officers were on patrol in Cogenhoe on Tuesday to update residents and provide reassurance.”
On Tuesday, the force said the 41-year-old arrested man had been released on bail pending further enquiries.