A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a Wellingborough man who killed a pedestrian through careless driving.
Cristian Homan was convicted of causing the death of Roger Cridge on June 20 last year on the A4500 in Ecton.
But, having been granted bail at an earlier hearing, he failed to turn up to be sentenced yesterday at Northampton Crown Court, where Mr Cridge’s family were in attendance.
Police had not arrested Homan by yesterday evening.
Homan, of Henshaw Road, had been charged with death caused by careless or inconsiderate driving, having no licence or insurance and failing to stop at the scene of an accident.
James Varley, for the crown prosecution service, said Homan’s Honda car had had poor, but legal, headlights and that the defendant claimed to have had only two seconds to react after seeing Mr Cridge in the road.
However he failed to stop immediately after the accident.
Yesterday, after he did not turn up at court, Homan’s barrister, William Falshaw, said solicitors had knocked at his client’s door but were met with a couple who told them the defendant no longer lived there.
A pile of Homan’s unopened mail, said to have dated back one month, contained the letter ordering him to appear at court for sentencing, which had been hand-delivered on Friday.
Mr Falshaw said the couple reported Homan’s final words to them were: “I’m going - bye.”
Judge Mayo said: “He clearly wasn’t about. He’s made himself scarce.”
The judge issued a warrant not backed for bail.