Wasp nest fire sets cottage ablaze

editorial image

Firefighters were called to tackle a blaze at a cottage last night (Saturday August 3), which is believed to have started after a wasp nest in the property ignited.

The fire at a cottage in Main Street, Cottesbrooke, has left a third floor bathroom ‘moderately damaged’ by fire.

Two fire crews were called to the scene at 6.34pm and on arrival crews found smoke issuing from the loft.

A spokesman for Northants Fire and Rescue said the blaze was “caused by a wasp nest being ignited by heat from a lamp and a transformer.”

The fire was in a vaulted loft of a three storey detached stone built home, and the blaze was under control by 7.29pm.

Firefighters tackled the fire using a specialist cobra firefighting system, which minimises the amount of water needed to extinguish the fire.