Warning after battery explodes in waste truck in Raunds
East Northamptonshire Council is pleading with residents to take more care when disposing of batteries following an explosion and a fire in the back of a waste collection truck.
Collection crews reported an explosion that rocked the vehicle and that could be heard at the far end of the street as they travelled along Grumbold Avenue in Raunds at 1pm on Tuesday (March 14).
Thanks to the swift actions of the crew, the vehicle was parked on a grass verge away from cars parked along the street.
The fire service responded quickly and the entire load of waste was dumped to allow for thorough dowsing while the road was closed to ensure public safety.
The fire crews from Raunds and Rushden identified the cause of the fire as a nickel–cadmium battery, the sort used in everyday household items such as remote control toys and torches.
Catholic churches in Corby and Rothwell to close
Higham Ferrers paedophile cries as he's jailed over child abuse videos
Seven abandoned but adorable dogs looking for a forever home this week in Northamptonshire
Kettering thug given suspended sentence after admitting assaults
Who's been sentenced from Corby, Ecton, Higham Ferrers and Kettering
Such batteries should not be placed in waste or recycling bins as they contain chemicals that can ignite and should be disposed of at battery recycling points.
Leader of East Northamptonshire Council Cllr Steven North said: “While these items may seem harmless, they could have dangerous implications for our waste collection crews, the public and the environment.
“We’re asking all residents to please keep everyone safe by not putting hazardous waste into household bins but making use of the battery recycling points in shops and household recycling centres.
“We also ask residents to consider the financial cost implications of incorrect disposal.
“Because of this situation six tonnes of recycling had to go to landfill as it was contaminated, as well as the cost of the fire crews, the waste crews who supported the situation and kept collection rounds running, the damage to the truck and the clear up costs.
“Please dispose of these items in the proper way.”
Stuart Smith, operations supervisor for Kier, praised the crew for acting quickly in dumping the load in a safe place before the fire could disable the truck’s hydraulics, which likely saved the truck from being consumed by the fire.
He said: “Our crew did exactly what they needed to do to prevent the fire spreading and creating damage to people or property.
“We would appreciate all residents being vigilant in ensuring hazardous materials are not put in their bins but disposed of as indicated on the ENC website.”
To check what goes in which bin and how to dispose of hazardous waste safely, visit www.east-northamptonshire.gov.uk/recycling.