Walking boots on!

Wollaston Heritage Trail: High Street.'29/12/11
Wollaston Heritage Trail: High Street.'29/12/11
Share this article

This week, our walk is a heritage trail around Wollaston, famous for being the home of Dr Martens footwear.

Starting from Wollaston Museum on the High Street, head down the High Street and turn left on to St Michael’s Lane and then first left again onto College Street.

On this street you will pass a number of buildings with notable heritage.

One is Curiosity College, which was built in the 18th century and refurbished in 2004 by The Wollaston Heritage Society with the help of Lottery funding.

The cottage is presented as an early 20th century dwelling and the Archive Room contains historical artefacts and photographs.

Another notable building is the Workhouse. As with many towns and villages, Wollaston had a workhouse for the poor. This house was the village workhouse from the 1700s to 1835.

Also worth checking out as you pass is Beacon Hill, which is a 12th century Norman Motte.

It stands on two thirds of an acre and is twenty feet high. It is an English Heritage Scheduled Ancient Monument.

At the end of College Street, turn left down Bell End, passing Miss Keep’s Schoolroom next to the pocket park.

In 1870, the Keep family, landowners and possible dealers in lace, moved to Wollaston. One of the daughters, Alice, was a talented water colourist who took over the running of the little school, teaching boys painting and bible studies.

Alice and her sister Margaret taught more than 800 boys over the years: the register can be seen in the Wollaston Museum.

The Keep family memorial is in the Wollaston Cemetery in Cobb’s Lane.

Cross the road from Miss Keep’s Schoolroom to The Priory, which was once a medieval rectory, belonged to Delapre Abbey in Northampton circa 1140-1537 and is now privately owned.

To the right is St Mary’s Church, of which the tower and spire date from the early 1300s.

When the tower collapsed it was rebuilt by the Georgians. The Victorians built the north transept in 1885.

Return back past The Priory and cross over Cobbs Lane to Airwair International Ltd HQ, which is the home of Dr. Martens footwear.

The first Dr Martens boot was created on April 1, 1960 and became known as the 1460.

At first the boots were popular for their hardwearing and comfort qualities but were soon adopted by young people and are now worn by all ages across the globe.

Route: Circular Distance: 0.5 miles

Contributed by Wollaston Parish Council