UPDATE: High-profile football arrest man is freed by police
Detectives investigating racially-inflammatory comments made to a national newspaper have released a Wellingborough man without charge.
The 50-year-old was this morning (Friday, May 27) arrested by Northamptonshire Police on suspicion of inciting racial hatred.
The arrest came as a result of information received earlier this week from the UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) in relation to alleged racially inflammatory comments which were widely reported in the national media.
Following an investigation by the force, the suspect was questioned by detectives and a search of his home was conducted.
A spokesman said Northamptonshire Police would not name the suspect when called by this newspaper, but said: “Due to the live nature of this investigation it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.”