Update: Desborough football official remains in serious condition

Three members of Desborough Town FC's committee were injured in a crash on Saturday evening
Three members of Desborough Town FC's committee were injured in a crash on Saturday evening

A member of Desborough Town Football Club’s committee injured in a road accident near Upper Benefield on Saturday (January 18) remains in a serious condition in hospital, his daughter has said.

John Sampson, 67, was taken to Walsgrave Hospital in Coventry with serious leg and neck injuries after the incident – and he has been in an induced coma since Sunday because he is currently unable to breathe by himself.

John’s daughter Tracey Berkovitz said that while her dad was in a stable condition, his injuries were very serious and he is still being treated in the hospital’s critical care unit.

She added: “He has some damage to his lungs and is being treated for pneumonia.

“He injured his neck, which should not cause too many problems, and he suffered two very serious breaks to his left leg and potential injuries to his right leg.

“He has been in the induced coma since Sunday, and the doctors say they will assess this later in the week to possibly bring him back out at the end of the week.

“He is likely to remain in hospital for at least a couple of weeks.”

Two other men injured in the accident were taken to Kettering Hospital. One has since been released while the other, Trevor Cooper, remains at the hospital receiving treatment for a back injury..

Desborough Town FC chairman Ernie Parsons said: “I’d like to thank people from other football clubs who have sent us messages of support.

“The thoughts of everyone at Desborough Town are very much with John as well and we wish him a speedy recovery.”

Northamptonshire Fire Service said they were called to the accident scene at about 6.15pm on Saturday.

Mr Sampson was a passenger in a silver Suzuki Alto, being driven by a 75-year-old man, which collided with a grey Kia Cee’d driven by a 58-year-old woman.

A section of the road was closed for almost three hours.

Witnesses are asked to call the Drivewatch Hotline on 0800 174 615.