UCL: Ar Tarn fight back to earn a point

Desborough Town produced an impressive second-half fightback to make it four games without defeat as they held high-flying Pinchbeck United to a 3-3 draw in the Future Lions United Counties League Premier Division.

Saturday, 22nd September 2018, 11:29 pm
Updated Sunday, 23rd September 2018, 8:18 am
Nathan Heycock takes the congratulations after scoring Irchester United's winning goal in their 4-3 victory over Sileby Rangers. Pictures by Alison Bagley

Ar Tarn went in front thanks to Aidan Bradshaw’s early goal before the hosts hit back to take a 2-1 lead into half-time.

Jason Turner levelled things up from the penalty spot but Pinchbeck regained the lead, only for Jordan Henson to grab a share of the spoils with Desborough’s third goal 12 minutes from the end.

Elsewhere, it was a tough day for the local clubs in the top flight.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The ball is in the net for Irchester's winner against Sileby

Wellingborough Town went down 2-0 at Kirby Muxloe, Rothwell Corinthians suffered a heavy 5-0 defeat at the hands of Holbeach United and Whitworth’s early struggles continued with a 2-1 loss at Boston Town.

Irchester United impressive start to the Division One season continued but only after a dramatic 4-3 victory over 10-man Sileby Rangers at Alfred Street.

The visitors had their goalkeeper sent-off for handball outside the area in the first half but that didn’t stop them from opening up a 2-0 lead before half-time.

But the Romans hit three goals in the space of six minutes at the start of the second half to turn the game on its head with Nathan Heycock, Ryan Lovell and Laurence Taylor putting them 3-2 up.

David Bell in action for Irchester during the victory over Sileby

But Sileby found an equaliser themselves, only for Heycock to win it for Steve Sargent’s men late on.

Rushden & Higham United eased into the second round of the NFA Junior Cup after a 4-1 success over Northants Combination side Wollaston Victoria.

Dave Townsend scored twice and further efforts from Steve Ainge and Jory Mann sealed the Lankies’ victory.

Thrapston Town also moved into the next stage as they claimed a 2-1 victory at Woodford United.