Transplant for superhero Seth from Corby

Seth in hospital
Seth in hospital

A little boy is recovering after having a bone marrow transplant from his dad.

Seth Lane, five, of Corby, was born with a rare condition which means he has no immune system.

As a result, he spends almost all of his time in the same room, nicknamed a ‘bubble’, at the Great North Children’s Hospital in Newcastle, with his mum and dad Leanne and Nik.

Seth’s story went viral in March after he asked people to Wear Yellow For Seth and his parents have been keeping people updated on his progress through their blog, including his recovery since the transplant on May 1.

His parents’ blog says: “We still have potentially very rough times ahead. Nothing has changed in terms of risks and expectations, but he is not critically ill which is what I had prepared myself for.

“I keep having to remind myself that it can still happen.

“Seth still has no working immune system. The cells are in, but they are not home and not working yet.”

After the transplant, Seth has been having spikes in his temperature, but his parents say he is OK in himself. He is getting tired quite easily, but is content when awake. Other side effects of the treatment include his skin having an almost tanned look to it and his hands are very swollen and raw so need dressings.

Via the blog, his parents said: “We still need to take it day by day. We do not know what is causing these temperatures, and we do not know how his kidneys are going to cope with the ongoing medication. We also do not know how Seth’s body will react to the stem cells, or how the new cells will react to Seth. Also we do not know how Seth’s body will continue to respond to the chemotherapy.

“So at the moment there are a lot of unknown answers.

“But now every day that passes we are one day closer to the next step – neutrophils.

“Hopefully we will start to see those come in at around day 10.

“Seth says that Daddy’s magic is still finding its home, so he will feel better soon.”

Seth was diagnosed with his condition when he was six months old, and had a bone marrow transplant at Great Ormond Street Hospital.

But a couple of years later, he was forced to return to hospital after complications began to arise.

Since January, he has been living at the hospital permanently.

To read the blog go to