Supermarket giant Tesco says it has abandoned plans to build a supermarket in Desborough - just weeks after saying it was still working with Kettering Council on the scheme.
The chain was granted planning permission for a 24,000 sq ft store at the former Lawrence Factory site in January 2012.
However, in a statement released today (Monday, July 7), the firm said it would not be ‘progressing’ its plans.
The full statement from Tesco reads: “After careful consideration, we have decided not to progress plans for a new store in Desborough.
“We understand many people may be disappointed by this decision and would like to thank all those who have voiced their support.
“As we announced earlier this year we are building fewer large stores.
“Customers are increasingly shopping online and in convenience stores and we have reconsidered our proposal in the light of these changing habits.
“We continue to serve our customers from our stores in the area and look forward to continuing to welcome customers through our doors at our popular existing stores in Kettering and Corby.”
No mention was made in the statement of the recent planning consent Tesco won for a new store a few miles away in Market Harborough.
The Telegraph contacted Tesco in late May about its plans for the Lawrence Factory site, and received a one-line response which read: “We’re continuing to work with Kettering Council and will keep the local community updated.”
Several readers had also contacted the Telegraph to express doubts over the Tesco plans for Desborough.
Cllr Ian Jelley, from Kettering Council, said: “While it is disappointing that Tesco have decided not to build a store in Desborough, the council respects their commercial decision.
“The regeneration of our town centres is one of Kettering Council’s stated key objectives - this remains the case.”