Serial flasher from Rushden locked up for six months

Nicholas Jones
Nicholas Jones
Share this article

A builder exposed himself to elderly customers while carrying out work at their homes.

Nick Jones, 45, of Harborough Road, Rushden, caused upset and embarrassment to nine elderly women who employed him to carry out work on their homes.

Jonathon Dee, prosecuting at Northampton Crown Court, said the crimes were made all the more bizarre because Jones, a dad-of-three whose building firm had been founded by his father, was a “reliable, honest and well-priced” builder often recommended through word of mouth.

Mr Dee said: “One of the victims had known Jones since he was a boy. In 2007 he installed a wet room but found it necessary to only wear socks and boots during the work.

“He would walk past her living room window and expose himself to her despite being repeatedly challenged.

“Another victim in her 80s employed Jones to repair her roof in 2010. She said Jones would have conversations with her about his family while exposing himself.”

Mr Dee said a retired teacher aged 69 employed Jones to build a shed in February 2013.

He added: “The victim’s husband was inside the house and she was in the back garden talking to Jones.

“While they were talking he exposed himself to her with a smirk on his face.

“She said she could not understand why he was so aroused, as they were talking about planters at the time.”

Mr Dee said another woman in her 80s, who Jones exposed himself to while working on her bedroom, said she told Jones to “pack that lark up, it does nothing for me”.

Mr Dee said eventually word began to spread and police became aware.

He added: “Essentially, all victims said the same thing. They were angry, shocked and embarrassed.

“They say there was a complete lack of respect.

“Many say they did not feel anything worse was going to happen to them – only that this was an insult.”

Defence barrister Paul Orton said Jones was very remorseful and had pleaded guilty to the 10 charges of indecent exposure at the earliest opportunity.

He added: “He is ashamed. The deterioration of his marriage caused problems.”

Recorder Adrienne Lucking called the case one of the worst examples of indecent exposure there could be.

Jones was jailed for six months, placed on the sex offenders’ register and was given a sexual offences prevention order banning him from carrying out work in private homes.

Speaking after the case, Det Con Kathryn Tyrrell said: “I would like to commend the courage of the ladies who gave us statements.”