Search to find your winners of this year's Spirit of Corby Awards
Corby's annual search to find its unsung heroes who make a huge difference in their community has begun.
Corby Council has launched the 2017 Spirit of Corby Awards this week.
People can now start nominating those in the borough who go above and beyond and bring something special to life in Corby.
The Spirit of Corby Awards, in partnership with sponsors Northamptonshire Police, Quantum Print, Savoy Cinema, Spirit Hyundai and The Core at Corby Cube, are the borough’s annual celebration of everything that is good about Corby, its community and the spirit of the people.
Each year the awards highlight the great contribution its residents make to the town, the special talents they have, but above all else the awards are a way to thank the unsung heroes in the community that go above and beyond.
If you think someone has made a difference in your community or done something they should be proud of then it’s time to nominate.
Corby Council leader Cllr Tom Beattie said: “With recent tragedies it is ever more important to remember and celebrate our community spirit up and down the country and all of the good that people do.
“Over the many years we have been holding the Spirit of Corby Awards we have seen so many nominations come in that show just how amazing our community is and how much people do to contribute to life in the borough.
“From tidying up an area, helping run or take part in a local group, fundraising for your community or taking time to help teach someone a life skill; all of the little things that people do everyday are just what makes Corby so special.
“So please, if you know an individual or a club/group that you think needs to be recognised for whatever reason it may be, please nominate them for the Spirit of Corby Awards today and let’s show that community spirit is stronger than ever.”
Nominations can be made by filling out a form via www.corby.gov.uk/spiritofcorby or by picking up a form from the helpdesk on the ground floor of Corby Cube.
The deadline for nominations is 5pm on Friday, August 22, and last year’s winners are not eligible to be nominated for the same award again.
Once the nominations are in, an independent panel will select a shortlist for each award.
The shortlist will then be announced and people will be asked to vote for the winners.
The overall Spirit of Corby Award supported by The Core at Corby Cube will be chosen by an independent panel from the winners of the other categories.
The winners will be announced at the awards night on Wednesday, September 20, at The Core at Corby Cube.
For more information about the awards contact Kimberley Buzzard on 01536 464022 or email [email protected]
For further details go to www.corby.gov.uk.
The categories are:
Young Spirit of Corby Award (sponsored by Savoy Cinemas)
(2016 winner: Nikki Hammond)
- Nominate a young Corby resident under-25 who has made a contribution to their local community, is an example to their friends, may have excelled in music, education, sport or has perhaps overcome adversity to show the real Spirit of Corby
Club Spirit Award (sponsored by Quantum Print)
(2016 winner: Gareth Price)
- Nominate an individual who has contributed towards a local club or society, such as sporting, social or voluntary groups, or nominate for the whole club or group for what they bring to the community
Community Spirit Award (sponsored by Northamptonshire Police)
(2016 winner: Dany Reid)
- An individual or group who has worked towards making their area a safer or stronger community, whether it’s through contributing to reducing crime and anti-social behaviour, or simply being an active member of the community who gives time to make a difference in the area
Creative Spirit Award
(2016 winner: Elementz)
- Nominate an individual or group who has shown talent or given up time to help develop others in the arts in Corby – music, theatre, art, dance, literature etc. Or who has shown general creativity through arts & crafts such as knitting, painting and handy crafts
Educational Spirit Award (sponsored by Spirit Hyundai)
(2016 winner: Maplefields Circle of Friends)
- For an individual or group who has enriched their lives through a commitment to learning, maybe an adult who has returned to education and achieved excellence in their chosen field, or someone young or older who inspires others with their enthusiasm and love for learning
Environmental Spirit Award
(2016 winner: The Happenin’ Project)
- For an individual or group who has worked to protect or improve the natural or built environment, or promoted environmentally responsible attitudes and behaviour eg recycling, energy saving