Residents given chance to have their say on Corby flooding

Flooding in Gainsborough Road, Corby
Flooding in Gainsborough Road, Corby

Flooding in Corby will be the subject of a public meeting.

County councillor John McGhee will host the meeting along with the borough counterparts Cllrs Paul Beattie and Elise Elliston to talk about the ongoing problems in Gainsborough Road.

Their meeting comes after the roadflooded again this morning.

Members of the public are invited to meet with officers from Northamptonshire County and Corby Borough Councils at 6pm on Wednesday, February 12, at the Hazel Leys Community Centre in Gainsborough Road.

Richard Jones, who works for David Smith Associates Ltd, will be present at the meeting. David Smith Associates are consulting civil and structural engineers who have been asked by the County Council to advise on the technical aspects of surface water flow and flooding.

Cllr McGhee said: “I am extremely concerned about the ongoing disruption to local residents, businesses and schools.

“Local people have been telling me that they are being forced to stay at home to look after their children, because schools have had to close. This means people’s pockets are being hit and local businesses are losing their workers.

“I understand businesses have been unable to open. The flooding is causing damage to our local economy and adversely affecting local people’s finances.

“Action needs to be taken to resolve the situation as soon as possible. I would encourage all those who have been affected by the flooding to attend the public meeting in order to make their views known.”

Last month Corby’s MP Andy Sawford told Parliament about the Gainsborough Road flooding issue and asked the Environment Secretary, Owen Paterson to take action.

He said: “For the third time in the past twelve months Gainsborough Road in Corby has been severely flooded and residents were trapped in their homes for a week over Christmas.

“I have been passed around between the Environment Agency, Anglian Water and the county council, but nobody seems to want to take responsibility.

“Will the Secretary of State step in to help me stop this pass the parcel and get somebody to address this problem?”