Piping theft could have caused gas explosion

editorial image

Copper thieves could have caused an explosion in Kettering town centre last night when they stole piping connecting gas to a law firm.

Fire crews were called to Lamb and Holmes in West Street after a member of the public smelt gas from the property at 5.30am this morning.

On arrival they found a pipe connecting gas from the main supply to the firm’s boiler had been cut off along with a lead pipe at the back of the building.

The crews called the gas board to turn the supply off and make the area safe.

The law firm office manager John Chastka said: “I dread to think what could have happened if there had been a spark.”

For more on the story see tomorrow’s Evening Telegraph.