Pet Health: The night before Christmas...

editorial image

Vet Darren Storey brings you the latest news from Northlands Veterinary Hospital.

We all want to have a good time at Christmas.

Eating, drinking and exchanging presents.

So do your pets.

There are many things around the house at Christmas that are completely harmless to us, but could be deadly to your pet.

I received information from the Veterinary Poisons Information Service and it is very informative.

I would encourage you all to explore this site.

So, what should you all watch out for?

Below is but a small list of the more common things that can be readily accessible by your pet if you are not careful.

Food/drink

Chocolate (including hot chocolate drinks)

Grapes and dried fruits (currants, sultanas, raisins) – this includes Xmas Pudding and mince pies.

Onions, including stuffing

Alcohol

Macadamia nuts

General leftovers, especially if slightly mouldy.

Plants

Lilies – all parts of the plant are toxic to cats, including the pollen.

Holly

Poinsettia

Mistletoe

Ivy

Christmas tree (especially the pine needles being an irritant)

Gifts

Pot pourri

Silica gel

Decorations and wrapping

Candles

Remember, whether you are a client of Northlands or not we are here for you over the festive period if you need us.

Please call 01536 485543 and ask to speak to a clinical member of staff.

I wish you, your families, and pets a merry Christmas.

My next blog will be in the New Year and I hope you will all continue reading.