Partner saw victim moments before death

Jack Bristow died while crossing the A45
Jack Bristow died while crossing the A45

A court has heard how the partner of a dad-of-two who was killed while crossing the A45 saw him moments before he was fatally injured.

Jack Bristow, 39, from Irchester, was found lying in grass by the side of the A45, close to the Collingtree turn in Northampton, on July 12.

John Teague, 43, of Rothesay Road, Northampton, appeared before the town’s magistrates charged with causing his death by careless driving. He entered no plea to the charge, or to charges of failing to stop at the scene of a crash and failing to report the crash.

The court heard heartbreaking details of how Mr Bristow’s partner, Pearl, had driven to pick him up from the A45 at about 4am after he finished work.

She last spotted him near the BP garage but accidentally drove past him after missing the junction, the court heard.

Tragically, by the time she had turned around and driven back down the A45 he had been fatally injured.

A Home Office pathologist carried out a post-mortem examination and concluded the father-of-two died as a result of injuries consistent with a road traffic collision.

Prosecuting, Julie Costello said Mr Bristow was knocked over by a vehicle which the Crown alleges was being driven by Teague.

She told the court: “Jack Bristow was walking along the road when he was struck from behind. Mr Bristow was thrown on to the grass.”

She also revealed how a woman had spotted Mr Bristow lying face-down in the grass at 5am. However the woman, who did not speak English, went to work and did not tell anybody.

Instead he was found on the verge by a second person at about 7am, when police and paramedics were called.

Caroline McGann, representing Teague, said the prosecution case was “not accepted by the defence”.

Magistrates declined jurisdiction and the case will now return to Northampton Magistrates Court next month when it will be committed to Northampton Crown Court.

After Mr Bristow’s death his partner Pearl was too distraught to comment but a close family member said: “Our family and his two children will struggle to come to terms with it for a long time to come.”