No action to be taken against Kettering nightclub after youth event disorder

Bar Seven.
Bar Seven.

A police bid to prevent a Kettering nightclub from holding youth events after children ran amok outside their doors has failed.

The force called for a review of the licence used to run Bar Seven in Carrington Street after a number of incidents on March 31 this year.

They wanted a complete ban on holding events for under-18s or a number of conditions placed on its licence.

But councillors decided no action could be taken as there were no licensable activities taking place on the night in question.

A licensing committee meeting on Monday (May 22) heard the event in March was due to run until 11pm but by 9pm police had received reports of underage drinkers in the street, with one 16-year-old’s parents contacted after they vomited.

Police said there was no controlled queuing system, no searching for alcohol, people blocking the road and many screaming and shouting.

The event was then shut down after capacity was reached and more youngsters had breached a gate in the back garden.

In their application police said that once shut down the venue closed its doors and ‘washed their hands’ of the incident, leaving more than 200 youths in the street, although they backed down from the claim at the meeting.

Disturbances continued with bottles being thrown and some youths trying to climb over a police riot van.

PS Martin O’Connell said: “These events need to be controlled really, really carefully and that did not happen here.

“They took their eye off the ball.”

The event was advertised on social media and Cllr Lloyd Bunday questioned whether this was the right way to promote such an event which wasn’t ticketed.

He said: “If you advertise ‘there’s a party at...’ generally that party is rammed.

“A year does not go by where you hear about a rich family who go on holiday and their child has a party and all that’s left is the swimming pool because that couldn’t be burned.”

But Jon Payne, representing Bar Seven, said any licence conditions imposed would effectively be pointless as there was no alcohol on sale.

He said: “It [closing the venue] was the right decision to make. They had no alternative other than to remove people.

“It was not a case of them washing their hands of it.

“If they did not and allowed the event to continue there would have been more people in there and we would have been having a licensing hearing because of overcrowding.

“This review is premature.

“There were no licensable activities, there was no breach, and there would be no effect of any conditions.”

After just 15 minutes of deliberating, the committee decided to take no action.