Minute’s silence for Dylan

A minute’s silence will be observed in memory of four-year-old Dylan Cecil, from Kettering.

Members of the Burnham-on-Sea rescue services will take part in a minute’s silence on tomorrow morning (Sunday, August 26) at the annual rescue services day.

Volunteers will pay their respects to the youngster by observing the minute’s silence at 10am.

Many of those who take part will have been involved in the search operation.

A memorial service will be held for Dylan at St Andrews Church in Burnham-on-Sea from 6pm on Sunday. The public are invited to attend.

Prayers will also be said for Dylan and his family at St Mary’s Church, Kettering, on Sunday morning.

Father Ben Archibald said: “People in this community are very sad and in shock at the news and we offer the family our deepest sympathies at what must be a very difficult time.”

Dylan’s body was recovered on Thursday, August 23, after being found near to the yacht club in Burnham-on-Sea.

A statement released by the family when his body was found on Thursday said: “We would like to thank everyone for their help and support during this difficult time.

“We would like to express our gratitude for all the messages of sympathy and support from both the local community and wider public across the nation.

“In particular we would like to thank the people involved in the search - the police, RNLI, HM Coast Guard and the Burnham-on-Sea Area Rescue Boat.

“We are still extremely traumatised but very grateful that it appears Dylan has been returned to allow us to bury our son.”

Dylan Cecil was on holiday with his family when he stumbled into the muddy water at Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, at 6pm on Sunday.

His mother, Rachel McCollum, said earlier this week that he fell into a “whirlpool” and she knew immediately that she would not see him again despite her desperate efforts to save him.

Dylan’s family has remained at the scene during the search and are being updated about the recovery operation.

Dylan was visiting his grandparents in nearby Brean with his mother, father Darren Cecil and two younger sisters, aged one and three, when the tragic accident happened.

He had wanted to get a closer look at the sea when he slipped off the side of the jetty and disappeared beneath the muddy water.

His parents desperately tried to rescue him, but were unable to reach their son and had to be pulled from the water by passers-by.