Market Harborough man dies after rescuing sons from sea in Australia: Minute’s silence at local football on Sunday

A Market Harborough man died after rescuing his two children from drowning in strong currents at an Australian beauty spot.

Andrew Priestley died in hospital after getting into difficulty at Burrill Beach, which is around 155 miles south of Sydney on Australia’s east coast.

The 44-year-old, who was on holiday with his family, had gone into the water to help his sons.

After rescuing the children, it is believed Mr Priestley may have suffered a heart attack.

Australian police said the man’s children were uninjured. A report is now being prepared for the coroner.

A minute’s silence was due to be held before Borough Alliance’s football matches at Symington’s on Sunday.

A statement on the Borough Alliance Football Club website said: “Andrew Priestley tragically died saving his sons in a swimming accident in Australia.

“For many years Andrew was a regular figure at the club, where his sons Matthew and Daniel played.

“Our thoughts go ou to his wife Amanda, the boys and his daughter Amelia.”

Mr Priestley’s family said it was “heartbreakingly impossible” to imagine life without him.

After entering the water and rescuing his children, it is believed Mr Priestley may have suffered a heart attack.

A statement said: “The family of Andrew are devastated about his death in Australia. He died after saving his children.

“Andrew was the most amazing husband and father that any family could wish for. He adored his family and we adored him.

“The support and messages we have received have been overwhelming and we are thankful for that.

“It is heartbreakingly impossible at this moment to imagine our lives without him.

“We would ask that our privacy is respected at such a sad time.”

A statement from New South Wales Police Forcesaid: “Emergency services were called to Burrill Beach just after midday, where they found a man unconscious.

“The 44-year-old was taken to Milton Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

“Officers from Shoalhaven Local Area Command attended and were told the man, a British tourist, got into difficulty after attempting to rescue his two sons who were caught in a rip. His sons were not injured.”

A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that Mr Priestley had died.

He said the family, who have been offered consulate support, had been on holiday when then incident occurred.