Man rescued from fire and taken to hospital

A man was rescued from a fire and taken to hospital in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

Firefighters were called to a home in Swale Drive, Kings Heath, Northampton, just before 12.30am.

Firefighters from The Mounts, Moulton and Mereway went out to the blaze, which the fire service believe was caused by an unattended chip pan.

The fire left the property badly smoke-logged.

A man who was inside the property was rescued and was taken to hospital, where he was treated for smoke inhalation and cuts to his hands which were caused when he tried to break glass to escape the building.