Man questioned over attempted murder following KFC car smash

A MAN who drove a car at an off-duty police officer after ram-raiding a fast food restaurant has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

The 49-year-old from Corby tried to run over PC John Cummins after fleeing from KFC in Oakley Road in the town just after 11.30pm on Thursday.

He had just driven a red Peugeot 406 through the front of the restaurant before threatening members of staff still working inside.

He then fled the scene in the vehicle, followed by PC Cummins, who had witnessed the whole incident from his car.

And after PC Cummins attempted to detain him, he drove at him, forcing him to jump out of the way.

The man escaped on foot, but after a full area search he was found nearby on a garage roof and arrested just after midnight.

The offender had also rammed PC Cummins’ car and a marked police car, causing minor shoulder injuries to PC Ruth Hay, who required hospital treatment.

The staff at KFC were shaken but not injured, and nothing was stolen from the premises.

The suspect was last night in custody at Corby police station and was due to be interviewed in connection with the incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Spicer said: “Thanks to the quick thinking of PC John Cummins, this dangerous suspect was arrested within half an hour of the original incident and is now safely in custody in Corby.

“Thankfully PC Cummins narrowly avoided being hit by the car and PC Ruth Hay received only minor injuries.

“We would like to praise all those involved in the incident for this excellent example of policing work.”

A KFC spokesman said: “We were very concerned to hear of this incident as we take the safety of our staff and the security of our stores very seriously.

“The restaurant was closed at the time so no customers were present, and although staff were understandably shaken, fortunately nobody was hurt.

“We are currently assisting the police with their enquiries but are pleased to say the restaurant has since re-opened and it’s back to business as usual.”