Man allowed eight bank acounts to be set up in his name

Northampton Crown Court
Northampton Crown Court

A man who allowed eight bank accounts to be set up in his name and used to steal nearly £4,000 has been spared prison.

Janis Lindersons allowed another man to set up the online accounts using his details, which were then used to defraud another person’s account to the tune of £3,996.

Lindersons also allowed his personal bank account to be used to briefly store the money, before it was withdrawn with his debit card.

Lindersons, 31, of Ferrestone Road, Wellingborough, admitted charges of possession of criminal property and attempted possession of criminal property at Northampton Crown Court on July 17. He appeared for sentencing at the same court on Tuesday.

The court was told he had pleaded guilty on the day of trial and his co-defendant in the case had abstained.

Laura O’Malley, prosecuting, said eight seperate online bank accounts were set up in the defendant’s name on August 4, 2010. The day after, the accounts were used to steal four payments of £999 from a man’s bank account.

The total of £3,996 was then transferred into the defendant’s Lloyds TSB account and was withdrawn using his debit card at a Post Office, a cash machine and at a branch of Thomas Cook.

Ms O’Malley said two further fraudulent transactions of £1,400 were attempted on the account of the same victim, but failed.

Matthew Kirk, in mitigation, said the offence was not fraud, but was closely related to it.

He said: “He is not the organiser and does not benefit from any of the cash at the end of it.”

Mr Kirk said Lindersons, a Latvian national, was of previous good character and had been employed since moving to the UK.

Sentencing Lindersons, Judge Hilary Watson said: “The criminality of this offence is what you did assisted, supported and encouraged criminal conduct.

“Without you providing your card and passport, this fraud could not have happened. You could have gone to the police but you did not.”

Lindersons was sentenced to six months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, and was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.