A newly-wed couple’s trip of a lifetime ended in disaster after the bride fell seriously ill while on their honeymoon in Thailand.
Paul, 36, and Xanta Watts, 29, of Kettering, started their married life in style by going on a three-week tour of Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand.
However, in their final week at the idyllic Koh Yao Noi Island in Thailand, Xanta fell violently ill and was hospitalised for seven days after contracting paratyphoid – a disease caused by the salmonella bacteria.
Xanta suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting, severe stomach cramps and tiredness while staying at a four-star resort with her new husband.
The couple have now instructed travel law experts at Irwin Mitchell to help investigate the conditions at the resort and to get answers from tour operator Kuoni after their £10,000 honeymoon from hell.
Xanta, a care worker, said: “We experienced some horrible sights at the resort, such as seeing wormlike creatures in the pool, the food was sometimes undercooked and flies were often seen hovering around the fresh food.
“We were devastated that our ‘luxury’ holiday was ruined.
“I couldn’t believe that my dreams of a perfect start to my married life had been shattered by the illness.
“I was still so ill when I got home that I was hospitalised and had to have a month off work.”
Irwin Mitchell travel lawyer Amandeep Dhillon said: “Paul and Xanta feel that the standards which they experienced at this hotel completely destroyed what was meant to be one of the most special and cherished experiences of their lives.
“We are currently carrying out investigations into the standards at the hotel following the reports from our clients.”
A spokesman for Kuoni said: “We take any claims surrounding the health and well-being of our customers very seriously indeed and we are currently investigating this case.”