Fundraising efforts for life-changing treatment for a Burton Latimer man with multiple sclerosis have topped the £25,000 mark.
Steve Kerly is hoping to raise £40,000 for stem cell treatment which could halt the decline of his progressive form of MS.
He was given hope after watching a BBC Panorama documentary which highlighted the potential treatments available, and he is now on a waiting list at a clinic in Mexico.
Steve’s wife Lucy said: “Steve was diagnosed with MS at 29 and his health has declined over the years.
“He is now wheelchair reliant and needs help with everyday things such as cutting up his dinner and showering.
“The fund is going fantastically well, we are at £25,000!
“This has been achieved by a combination of donations and events.
“Our 17-year-old son Riain held a social at Bar 7, Kettering, raising £900, and our son-in-law Josh who has cystic fibrosis ran a half-marathon with his friend Jack and raised £2,113.”
A Just Giving page has been set up for Steve, which can be found here.
Mr Kerly’s family have also set up a number of events and stalls over the coming months to try to reach the £40,000 mark:
- May 7, stall selling raffle tickets at Burton Latimer Farmers Market
- May 7, race night at Burton Latimer Band Club, from 7.30pm
- May 14, 10k sponsored walk at Waendel Walk with Steve in his wheelchair
- May 29, family fun day at The Woolcomber pub, St Johns Road, Kettering, from midday with music, barbecue, cakes, face painting, hair braiding, bric-a-brac, raffle tickets, tombola, bouncy castle and much more
- June 3, Riain’s Social Part 2 at Bar Seven, Kettering, from 8pm, £5 on door
- June 11, Morrisons, Kettering, tombola and selling raffle tickets
- June 26, Burton Latimer Duck Race, stall selling raffle tickets, tombola, cakes and bric-a-brac
- July 9, all-day Big Bonanza Fundraising Bazaar from 10am at Burton Latimer Bowls club (Churchill Way car park) with refreshments, cakes, tombola, raffle, bric-a- brac, lucky dip, jumble and lots more
- July 15 - Bill Burton Family Disco, 7.30pm to late with a fundraising draw and raffle, adults £10 and children (under teens) £5 or family ticket (two adults and two children) £25
- August 14, Charity golf tournament at Rushden Golf Club
For more information about any of the events, contact Lucy Kerly on 07932 793178.