First driver convicted of death by careless driving

The first motorist in Northamptonshire to be charged with causing death by careless driving has been found unanimously guilty.

Phoebes Mutasa, 41, was convicted at Northampton Crown Court of causing the death of motorcyclist Robert Jolley, 17, in Rothwell Road, Kettering, on October 17, 2008.

He was at the wheel of a Ford Fiesta turning into Kettering General Hospital when his car struck Mr Jolley's oncoming motorbike.

Judge Michael Fowler, who adjourned sentencing for reports, released the trainee nurse, of Bath Road, Kettering, on bail and banned him from driving.

A statement released by Mr Jolley's family after the hearing read: "Robert was a typical young lad, who had everything to live for, when tragically his life was cut short.

"No words can describe how much Robert will be missed by all his family and friends.

"Robert was a much-loved son, brother and friend to all that knew him.

"He was always full of such vibrant energy and potential and excelled at anything he turned his hand to.

"We are devastated by the tragic loss of Robert and it was a terrible accident with terrible consequences, of which we are all served with life sentences, regardless of today's outcome.

"The last 18 months for everyone involved has been the hardest thing that anyone could ever expect to deal with in a lifetime.

"Today is now the start of the rest of our lives."

Robert was an uncle to three-year-old Leah and had two sisters, Elena, 21, Rebecca, 11, and a brother, Sebastian, 18.

A keen motorcyclist, Robert was a pupil at Montagu School, Kettering, before he moved to the William Knibb Centre. He gained four GCSEs there and was given an award for 100 per cent attendance.

Distracted drivers who kill can be jailed for up to five years due to the introduction of Alexine's Law.

The introduction saw the new offence of causing death or serious injury by careless driving following a long–runningn campaign by the family of teenage crash victim Alexine Melnik, who came from Higham Ferrers, and

was backed by the Evening Telegraph.