Firefighters rescue man from big blaze

editorial image

A man was carried from a burning home by firefighters after flames ripped through the building.

Four fire crews were called to Martin Close, Higham Ferrers, at about 9.20pm on Sunday.

A specialist aerial appliance was also required to battle the flames after the fire spread to the roof of the property.

The Evening Telegraph understands an older man lived alone at the property.

Reports suggest he suffered serious burns, and that after being carried out of the house he was treated by firefighters on his front lawn before an ambulance arrived at the scene.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “At about 9.20pm on Sunday, Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to a house fire at Martin Close.

“The fire was in a two-storey detached property, and due to its severity required four fire appliances from Rushden, Irthlingborough, Raunds and Wellingborough to resolve the incident.

“The fire subsequently spread to the roof of the premises and an aerial appliance from Moulton also attended.

“One male casualty was rescued from the premises by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus, he was treated at the scene by firefighters before being taken to hospital via ambulance.”

Some residents of Martin Close watched on in horror as the events unfolded.

Eyewitness Leslie Prior, 69, of Martin Close, said: “I heard some noises.

“We went out to see what the noise was and the smoke was billowing out from the loft area of the house.

“They brought the chap out and put him on the front lawn; they were pouring water on him and tending to him before the ambulance finally came.

“They must have emptied Grafham Water with the amount of water they put on the house.”

He added: “Everyone speaks very highly of him, and he just seemed to be a thoroughly good chap.”

A resident of Martin Close is believed to have called 999 checking-up on what she initially thought was a bonfire at the back of the property.

Gaye Easton, of Martin Close, said: “A lady who lives up the road was walking home when she noticed what she thought was a bonfire.

“When she went around the back and saw that it was a fire she reported it. The fire was going until about 1.30am.”

She said: “He’s a nice old chap and all of the neighbours wish him well.”

The man was taken to Kettering General Hospital where he received treatment.

Fire investigation officers spent yesterday working with police scenes of crimes officers to determine the cause of the fire.

One fire engine remained at the scene of the fire until yesterday afternoon. Firefighters also carried out a series of home fire safety checks at homes in the area, and offered advice and support to residents.