Family and friends raise a glass on first anniversary of man killed in Rushden

A toast was raised at Rushden Town Band Club on the first anniversary of the death of Lorenzo Gallucci
A toast was raised at Rushden Town Band Club on the first anniversary of the death of Lorenzo Gallucci

Family and friends raised a toast in memory of a man who was killed a year ago this week.

Lorenzo Gallucci, who was known as Spud, died after being involved in a collision with a car in the car park of the Splash swimming pool in Station Road, Rushden, in the early hours of Sunday, September 21, last year.

Lorenzo Gallucci of Rushden

Lorenzo Gallucci of Rushden

Mr Gallucci, 60, of Rushden, died at University Hospital, Coventry, later that evening.

A year on from the tragedy, family and friends got together at Rushden Town Band Club to celebrate Mr Gallucci’s life.

They held a vigil outside the club, lit candles and raised a toast in the club which he regularly drank at.

Daughter Emma said: “His friends who he used to go to the club with were there, and my sister, my brother and their partners were all there too.

He would have loved it

Emma Gallucci

“He used to go down there all the time, he was really close with everyone there.

“It was really nice to have everyone together again to celebrate Dad’s life, still keeping the memory going.”

And Emma thinks her dad would have loved it because he loved being surrounded by family.

She added: “Dad was quite family orientated.

“He loved having the big family dinners with everyone there, especially being Italian, and he loved spending time with his grandchildren.

“He would have loved it.”

Daughter Leanne McCann said: “We would like to thank the club, it was lovely for them to do this for us.”

Gareth Tennant regularly drank with Mr Gallucci at the club and he was there on Saturday.

Gareth said: “It was suggested that we do something down there, it was a group effort.

“He was a very popular bloke there, always smiling and laughing.

“Pretty much what we did on Saturday was what we did last year - we thought we would do the same but for it to be happy.

“This time it was more of a remembrance and celebration of his life and to let people know that he is not forgotten.

“If he had died of natural causes, it probably wouldn’t have gone like that, we would have had a quiet moment to ourselves, but because his life was taken so tragically, it was nice to do something like this.”

Gareth added: “He was a character, he liked his football and he was a Liverpool fan so we had a lot of football banter.”

A 26-year-old man pleaded not guilty to killing Mr Gallucci earlier this year.

Mohamed Hirsi appeared at Northampton Crown Court in June charged with manslaughter and causing death by dangerous driving after the incident on September 21 last year.

Hirsi, of Camden, London, also faces a charge of affray and damaging a Volkswagen Passat on the same day.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges.

A trial has been set for January next year.