A heartbroken pet owner says yobs who strapped a firework to her cat are sick psychos who should be ashamed of themselves.
The cruel killing of Dawn McAllister’s six-year-old pet Bonnie in Shelley Road, Wellingborough, has shocked and disgusted local people.
To make things even worse, Bonnie’s brother Buster was found dead the following morning. He had been hit by a car.
Mrs McAllister, 40, who wants those responsible caught and punished, said: “They’re just psychos, sick people and they should be ashamed of themselves.”
Police said a woman and her daughter saw Bonnie with a firework attached at about 6pm on Saturday.
The firework then exploded, killing Bonnie instantly.
PC Mark Jones said: “It’s a cruel and heartless thing to do. I understand the cat was very docile and it obviously trusted the person who picked it up.
“People will have seen and heard fireworks at that time of the night.
“It was about 6pm so people must have been about.
“It was between Longfellow Road and Burns Close, in the Shelley Road area.
“A witness driving with her young child saw it. She believed it was a firework, but when she looked again she realised it was a cat with a firework attached. ”
Mrs McAllister has now called for a total ban on the sale of fireworks to the public.
She said: “We are heartbroken and I wish they would ban the sale of fireworks, I hope it stops. I am fine with big shows but I think the sale of them should probably be banned.
“People get hurt and animals get slaughtered and it’s not worth it.”
An RSPCA spokesman said: “This is a despicable act of cruelty against an innocent animal and it would have suffered a very painful death.”