Driver too drunk to fill his car up

A CAREER criminal who was so drunk he could not work out how to fill his car with fuel has been jailed just a few weeks after being released from prison.

Anthony Young, who has 48 convictions for 163 previous offences, was spotted by a member of the public struggling to fill his Peugeot 407 at Morrisons in Oakley Road, Corby, on March 24.

Young, 43, of Fontwell Crescent, Corby, had trouble staying on his feet and was seen driving from pump to pump as he tried in vain to fill the car. He asked a member of the public for their help, who refused and called the police.

Young was arrested and charged with failing to provide a specimen of breath, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

He managed one breath test with a reading of 78mg – more than twice the legal limit – but he was unable to produce a second.

Young entered guilty pleas to all three charges at Corby Magistrates Court yesterday.

Sally Laundon, prosecuting, said Young was heavily under the influence of alcohol at the time of the offence and had trouble walking.

She said most of his previous offences were for dishonesty, and he was serving a community order for three thefts in December – two of meat and one of washing-up liquid.

He was also sentenced for these yesterday.

Val Lowe, in mitigation, said despite Young’s record, it was his first offence of drink-driving.

She said: “This is very much out of character for him.

“He knows he was utterly stupid and should not have done it.”

She admitted Young had an appalling list of previous convictions.

Unemployed Young also owes £1,376 in unpaid court fines and has breached a previously-imposed curfew four times.

The court heard he has drink problems and previously had issues with drugs. Chairman of magistrates Roger Fowles said: “We view this very dimly, particularly in view of your record.”

Young was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison for failing to provide a sample, 12 weeks for one of the thefts in December and 21 days for non-payment of fines.

He was also banned from driving for 22 months and his community order was revoked.