Doughboys and Romans advance in the Vase

Wellingborough Town and Irchester United both claimed excellent wins to book their spots in today's (Monday) first round draw for the Buildbase FA Vase.

Monday, 17th September 2018, 8:54 am
Updated Monday, 17th September 2018, 9:08 am
Wellingborough Town celebrate one of their goals during their FA Vase win over Burnham. Pictures by Alison Bagley

There was late drama at the Dog & Duck as the Doughboys edged out Burnham 3-2.

Troy Johnston put Gary Petts’ team in front before the visitors levelled with 20 minutes to go.

Lloyd Buckby restored the home side’s lead but the game looked like it would be going to extra-time when Burnham equalised again in the third minute of stoppage-time.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Action from the Dog & Duck

But Wellingborough went straight up the other end and Adam Speight headed home at the far post to send them through.

Irchester picked up one of the best results in their recent history as they claimed a 2-1 victory at higher-ranked Arlesey Town.

Ryan Lovell gave the Romans a first-half lead but the hosts drew level after the break but then had a man sent-off.

An extra 30 minutes was needed and Steve Sargent’s made use of their numerical advantage as Nathan Heycock headed home the winner.

It was a good weekend for the Doughboys as they moved into the first round of the FA Vase

Elsewhere, Thrapston Town were edged out of the competition as they went down 3-2 at Rayners Lane. But there were heavier defeats for Raunds Town, who were beaten 4-0 at Leverstock Green, and Burton Park Wanderers, who lost 5-0 to Deportivo Galicia at Latimer Park yesterday.

In the Future Lions United Counties League Premier Division, Desborough Town came back from a goal down to beat Newport Pagnell Town 2-1 at the R Inn Stadium.

All the goals came in the second half with the visitors breaking the deadlock before Dan White equalised with a header from a corner.

And Ar Tarn won it when Liam Boath turned in Jason Turner’s shot.

Whitworth’s tough start to the new season continued last Friday night as they were beaten 4-0 at ON Chenecks.