Developer fails in second attempt to build homes on the edge of Stanwick
Plans for up to 198 houses on the outskirts of a village have been turned down.
Gladman Developments Ltd had applied to build up to 198 houses on land off West Street in Stanwick.
But after opposition from Stanwick Parish Council, Irthlingborough and Raunds town councils as well as hundreds of letters of objection, members of East Northants Council’s planning management committee refused the plans last night (Wednesday).
Their decision was met with a cheer from people in the public gallery who had come to see whether permission was granted.
Many of those who attended the meeting had also opposed a previous application put in by Gladman Developments.
The developers had previously applied to build 230 homes on the same site, but this was refused in March last year and is now the subject of a separate appeal and is due to be heard in October.
Speaking during last night’s meeting ahead of the decision being made, Cllr Helen Howell said: “The proposed development will have a dramatic impact on highways safety and traffic volume.”
And she added: “There has been overwhelming objection for this development and the previous development.
“Let’s not forget that Stanwick is a village, not a growth town, and it needs to retain a village feel.”
Cllr Dudley Hughes said: “We should take note of the residents and refuse this application.”
Cllr Anna Sauntson said: “There are five really good reasons for refusal and I am sure everyone will support it.”
Following the discussion, councillors went with the recommendation by planning officers to refuse the plans.