A MURDER charge against a man accused of killing a father-of-two from Raunds has been dropped.
Ravi Sandhu will now stand trial accused of the manslaughter of Kevin Harrison, who died a week after an altercation in Bedford town centre in the early hours of September 11 last year.
Sandhu, 24, of Kathie Road, Bedford, appeared at St Albans Crown Court yesterday, where he pleaded not guilty to the charges of murder and manslaughter.
But prosecutor Anne Evans said the Crown Prosecution Service would not be offering any evidence with regard to the murder charge.
Mr Harrison, 48, of St Crispin Way, Raunds, was attacked in Bedford after a night out with his son Jack, 18, to celebrate a workmate’s birthday.
He died in Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, the following Sunday. He also leaves his daughter Becky, 21, and wife Patricia, 43.
The public gallery was full for yesterday’s brief hearing.
Sandhu, who was dressed in a grey suit and tie, spoke only to respond to the charges.
Judge Michael Baker was told there would be seven or eight eyewitnesses giving evidence at the trial.
Sandhu was granted bail ahead of a trial at Luton Crown Court on March 12, although the court was told this date could be put back a week.
After the incident, police said they did not know what Mr Harrison had been doing before the attack, but after walking down High Street on his own he was set upon. A total of seven men were initially arrested in connection with the incident, but six were released without charge.