Dashcams land 300 dangerous drivers with hefty fines in Northamptonshire during first year of Operation Snap

"We know the public see bad driving all the time .. this gives us thousands of extra pairs of eyes to help us keep our roads safer"

By Kevin Nicholls
Thursday, 27th August 2020, 10:11 am
Updated Thursday, 27th August 2020, 10:16 am

This is the sort of madness on the road captured by dashcams which helped land 300 dangerous drivers with hefty fines during the first year of Operation Snap in Northamptonshire.

Police launched the scheme last August, allowing motorists to upload video evidence via an online portal.

More than 600 videos were received ranging from drivers not being in proper control of a vehicle, driving without due care and attention, overtaking on solid white lines, ignoring traffic lights, carrying excessive passengers and unsecured loads.

This video showing a Renault Clio pulling out in front of on-coming traffic was a typical case.

Just under half of those have led to the police taking action against the drivers.

Safer Roads Operations Manager, Matthew O’Connell, said: “When people see a marked police car they tend to drive more carefully and behave, but we know the public see bad and dangerous driving all the time.

“Through the use of Operation Snap, we have thousands of additional pairs of eyes helping us to keep our roads safer and thanks to the public’s support are able to take action against driving offences we otherwise wouldn’t see.

Dashcam footage shows the Renault darting into traffic. Photo: Norhtamptonshire Police

“Although this service allows people to share evidence of driving offences with us quickly and easily so we can take prompt and appropriate action. It’s important to remember, we only have 14 days from when the offence is committed to do this.

“It's also important to remember we examine footage for evidence of offences by all parties, so please don't break the law in order to report someone else to us, or you could be in trouble as well.”

In the first 12 months, the Force received 612 submissions from 413 individual witnesses, resulting in a total of 300 Notice of Intended Prosecution letters being sent to registered owners.

Funded by the Office of the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner with the support of the Department for Transport, Operation Snap provides an additional resource to prevent and reduce serious and fatal collisions.

Northamptonshire Safer Roads Alliance Chair, Superintendent Adam Ward, said: “Last year, 42 people were killed on our county’s roads and a further 347 were seriously injured. Our main priority continues to be to improve road safety in Northamptonshire.

“Through education and enforcement, where necessary, we need to stop people putting themselves and other road users at risk because they do not believe they will get caught. But poor driving and behaviour will not be tolerated.

“Since the launch of Operation Snap, the chances of getting caught for committing traffic offences goes up. If that fear of getting caught results in road users using our roads more safely, then that’s only a good thing.

“Over the past 12 months, Operation Snap has proved an invaluable policing tool, and has complemented the good work already being carried out by all the alliance partners.

“However, with the continued support of the public, we hope it acts as a deterrent and encourages all road users to use our road network legally and responsibly, to help improve road safety across the county.”

For more information about Operation Snap or to submit video footage, visit the Northamptonshire Police website at www.northants.police.uk/OpSnap