Corby man jailed for starving his pet dog

Luke Hamilton of Corby
Luke Hamilton of Corby

A 22-year-old man has been jailed after starving his pet greyhound and then dumping the dying animal on the roadside.

Luke Hamilton, of Llewelyn Walk, Corby, admitted causing the animal unnecessary suffering by not addressing its weight loss and poor condition between September 5 and 26 last year.

He was sentenced to eight weeks in prison by Corby magistrates and was banned from owning an animal for 20 years.

He also admitted two assaults and was jailed for four weeks for each offence.

This term will run consecutively with the dog cruelty sentence.

Kevin McCole, prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, said concerns were reported to the charity after people were shocked and distressed to see the condition of the dog.

A PCSO also investigated a report that the greyhound had attacked and killed a cat.

Mr McCole said: “The officer told the defendant to take the dog to the vet as its whole ribcage could be seen. He said he would do so.

“Later a greyhound was found collapsed and dying on the side of the road in Viking Way, Corby. It was severely emaciated and was conscious but unable to move.”

The five-year-old animal was taken to a vet and tests showed it had organ failure. It had to be put down.

The RSPCA made inquiries and traced a former owner of the greyhound who had transferred ownership of the dog to Hamilton.

He was so upset to hear of its condition that he burst into tears.

The RSPCA was then able to track down Hamilton who at first denied responsibilty, saying he had given the dog to his brother.

Magistrates were also told that on January 23 Hamilton punched two boys, one aged 14 and one 15, in Morrisons in Corby.

Gill Walker, mitigating, said Hamilton had a drink problem and that family difficulties had sent him over the edge. She said: “He has difficulty comprehending things.”

Dog had two large open wounds

A man and a woman who each admitted three charges of causing their pet German shepherd unnecessary suffering received suspended prison sentences.

Daniel McVey, 32, and Marie McCafferty, 30, of Chestnut Avenue, Corby, failed to investigate the animal’s weight loss and did not seek veterinary care for a parasitic infection and two ulcerated wounds on their pet Major.

Corby magistrates sentenced McVey to 16 weeks in prison and McCaffery to 14 weeks, suspending both terms for a year. They were both ordered to do 150 hours unpaid community work and attend a life skills course and were banned for keeping an animal for 20 years.

Kevin McCole, prosecuting on behalf of the RSPCA, said the animal was 20 per cent under weight and had to be put down.

Paul Seaton, mitigating, said: “They regret the suffering caused to Major.”