Corby steelworks strike: Industrial action suspended temporarily for more talks with Tata

Tata in Corby
Tata in Corby

Industrial action by union members at Tata sites has been suspended temporarily following a revised offer in the ongoing dispute over pensions.

GMB and other steel unions said last week that members at Tata sites, including Corby, would be going on strike on Monday, June 22.

But following negotiations, a new offer has been tabled which would keep the pension scheme open.

Community, along with Unite, GMB and UCATT, has temporarily suspended its industrial action, which began on Tuesday morning.

Through talks at ACAS and ongoing dialogue this week, union negotiators have secured a new offer from the company which means the scheme would remain open.

Members of Community’s National Executive Council, who work for Tata Steel, were presented with the principles of the new offer at an emergency meeting in London yesterday.

Those present at the meeting agreed that the company had shifted its position to such an extent that industrial action could be suspended temporarily and steps could be taken to consult members on the revised offer.

Consultation will begin with a meeting of senior union delegates from across the company on Friday.

Roy Rickhuss, general secretary of Community and chairman of the National Trade Union Steel Co-ordinating Committee, who led the negotiations for the union side, said: “It is good that Tata Steel has finally seen sense, participated in the meaningful discussions that we have been calling for and changed its mind about closing the scheme.

“We were always prepared to consider proposals which would help overcome the current challenges faced by the scheme and we knew that could be achieved while keeping the scheme open and recognising the importance of maintaining a good final salary pension.

“This dispute isn’t yet over but through meaningful discussion and negotiation we have made some steps towards finding a resolution.”

A spokesman for Tata said they had no comment to make at this time.

The overtime ban and work to rule which began at 6am yesterday morning has been temporarily suspended from 6am today (Wednesday) to 6am on Saturday, June 20.

The plan for strike action on Monday, June 22, has not changed.