Corby recycling centre fire: Bin collections update

The aftermath of the fire. Picture by Keith Park XMrxQY7C76p06WLx4GN2
The aftermath of the fire. Picture by Keith Park XMrxQY7C76p06WLx4GN2

Bin collections will not be affected by the huge fire at recycling plant in Corby on Friday night, the council has said.

A Corby Council spokesman said: “We were very relieved to hear there were no casualties or injuries caused by the incident at the Recycle Force Depot in Gretton Brook Road on Friday night.



“We are in contact with the company and other arrangements have been made for Corby’s recycling collections, therefore all collections will continue as normal.”

Firefighters tackling the blaze stopped it from spreading to nearby units, one of the sector commanders at the scene has revealed.

The fire took hold late on Friday night.

Warren Ellison, a group manager at Northamptonshire Fire and Rescue, was one of the sector commanders at the scene.

He said: “The call came in at about 1am on Saturday that Recycle Force was on fire.

“There was a developed fire within the building.

“The building itself is a recycling centre for domestic waste, and so was filled with bales of paper and plastics.

“As the fire grew all of this caught fire, as did bales outside as well.”

At the peak of the incident there were 10 fire engines at the scene – eight from Northamptonshire and two from Leicestershire, as well as high volume pumps (HPVs) from Cambridgeshire and Warwickshire.

In total there were 50 to 60 firefighters at the scene.

Mr Ellison said: “We realised that the scale of the fire could mean we would need more water than the mains could supply, and that’s why we called in the HVPs just in case.

“The first thing we did was put in water curtain to stop the fire spreading to an adjacent warehouse that was just 10 to 12ft away.

“If we hadn’t the radiated heat would have set it alight as well.

“We used the aerial platform from Corby to tackle the main fire.

“We had contained the fire to the building by around 2.30am.

“The problem is that the building is a steel supported structure, and when exposed to fire it starts to collapse and you end up with large panels of steel covering the fire itself.

“Also the collapsing building makes it very dangerous for the firefighters.

“That’s why it will take so long to put out the fire completely.

“The company has been there for five years and never had a fire before.

“They have a business continuity plan in place.

“They will continue to collect recyclable waste in the local area, but are redistributing their work to other locations.

“At the moment the cause is under investigation but it is not believed to be malicious.”