Corby mum admits to neglecting son

Shereen Murton was sentenced at Northampton Crown Court
Shereen Murton was sentenced at Northampton Crown Court

A woman has been handed a suspended prison sentence after admitting neglecting her infant son, who was found with a series of injuries.

Shereen Murton, 23, of Dumble Close, Corby, who was suffering from then-unknown mental health problems, failed to call for medical help after finding her son, who was nearly two years old, with a series of injuries.

Murton was given a six-month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months.

Murton and her former partner, 22-year-old James Madden, had pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to neglecting the boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

Madden is due to be sentenced for the same offence at a later date, following the completion of a medical report.

The child was found on July 1, 2012, with injuries including a swollen lip, a swollen eye, bruising to his back and leg. He also had blood across his face.

But Murton initially failed to call for an ambulance, despite her sister telling her to do so.

After discovering the boy’s injuries, Murton and Madden stripped the bed and washed the sheets, but did not seek medical treatment for the youngster.

Prosecuting, Adrian Harris said: “The boy was put to bed at about 7pm.

“During the night he was assaulted by someone present in the house. It was not possible to conclude who it was.

“He sustained severe bruising to his face. He had blood across his face, his top lip was swollen and purple, his eye was just a slit.”

It was a number of hours later before the boy was finally taken to hospital, where staff contacted the police.

Mr Harris added: “Both realised it was a serious assault. Both took steps to hide the evidence.”

Sentencing, Judge Rupert Mayo acknowledged Murton had been suffering from an unknown mental health problem at the time of the incident and said he was satisfied the treatment she has been receiving had been and would continue to help her.

But he added: “Don’t go away thinking the court thinks lightly of what happened to the child.”

As well as the suspended prison sentence, Murton was handed a 12-month supervision order and an 18-month mental health treatment requirement.

The boy was taken into foster care the same day he suffered his injuries and has now been put up for adoption, something his mother agreed was in his best interests.